“Women who have used a Doula are more satisfied with their birth experience, feel more confident in their ability to Mother, bond faster with their Newborn, are less likely to have postpartum depression, and are more likely to breastfeed.” – Klaus, Kennel, And Klaus 2001
Baby Beginnings Doulas are committed to supporting women through one of life’s most wonderful and powerful events; the birth of a baby and the changes that entails as they continue on their journey as a new parent.
Historically, a woman’s sisters, mother, aunties, or other women in the community experienced in pregnancy, birth, and baby care, would care for the mother-to-be. It is a privilege to be able to continue that tradition, by providing the support and encouragement that a mother to be needs.
Doula, from the Greek word meaning slave, is a woman experienced in childbirth who provides continuous physical, emotional, and informational support to the mother before, during, and just after childbirth.
A Doula complements the care a woman is already receiving, and adds a caring, nurturing presence to all.
“I am here to listen, not to work miracles.
I am here to help you discover what you feel, not to make your feelings go away.
I am here to help you identify your options, not to tell you what to do.
I am here to discuss steps with you, not to take steps for you.
I am here to help you discover your own strength, not to rescue you and leave you vulnerable.
I am here to encourage you to choose, not to make it unnecessary for you to make difficult choices.
I am here to provide support during what will most likely be,
the most memorable experience in your lifetime!”
Birth Doula Services and Packages
Packages can be created with any of the following (although not limited to):
- Individualised childbirth education classes.
- Prenatal visits to discuss how you would like your labour to go and any relaxation methods that you would like implemented.
- Phone and email support.
- Labour and birth support from the moment you feel that you may need us. We can come to your home and help with labour there or meet you at the hospital
- Guide the father/partner and explain how they can be of assistance
- Answer questions that the mother and partner may have
- Anticipate the mother’s needs and attend to them
- Explain procedures to help the parents make more informed decisions
- 1-2 hours postpartum care after birth to help with establishing breastfeeding and transitioning into the new role of parent.
- Postpartum visits occurring 24 hours, 3-5 days and 2 weeks after the birth.
- 1 year of on-going support as needed.
- Prices are dependent on the personalised package you create – contact Carolyn for more information.
Postpartum Doula Services and Packages
Our Doulas give emotional and informational support to ease the transition into motherhood. Because your family is unique, each doula provides tailored care to make sure that you feel relaxed and able to rest and heal during your postpartum period. They are there to “mother the mother” and nurture your family according to your needs.
- Breast feeding support and instruction
- Infant care education, including bathing, soothing, and establishing routines
- Maternal postnatal care
- Grocery pick-up
- Light housework
- Sibling support
- Day and overnight care
Every family is special and Baby Beginnings Doula Services provides you with a unique and experienced postpartum doula to fit your family’s needs with a variety of flexible package options.
This basic package includes services such as breast feeding support, infant care education and soothing techniques and is ideal if you are on a limited budget. It also makes a great gift! Three, four hour days (total of 12 hours) over two weeks.
Rested Mum, Happy Baby!
Let us help enhance your well-being through support that reduces your stress and anxiety. Support is available from the moment you arrive home or at a later time as needed. Let us help with your transition to family life. Six, four hour days (total of 24 hours) over two to four weeks.
Rested Mum, Happy Family!
Several days of doula support can make the transition to family life a much smoother journey for everyone involved. This package provides both day and night support to enable you to get a good night’s sleep. Six, four hour days AND one, eight hour overnight (total of 32 hours) over two to four weeks.
Get more from your days while reducing the impact of sleepless nights. We can offer help making night time breast feeding go easily and quickly, allowing you both to be as rested as possible. Four, eight hour overnight sessions (total of 32 hours).
Your baby is unique and special. You may benefit from a support program that is tailor-made to your needs. Please ask us about custom packages. Discounted rates may apply!
If you are in need of continuous, long-term support, we can create a plan that will work for you. For example, you may benefit from support up to seven days a week for six, eight or twelve weeks. Please contact us for discounted rates.